Sunday 10 May 2015

How to Propagate Snake Plant


Snake Plant for Bedroom


Sansevieria trifasciata (known as Snake plant due to the shape of its leaves and Mother-in-law's tongue plant due to the sharpness of leaves) is an ornamental plant for indoors as well as outdoors. Just a coincidence that I got my first snakes plant's cutting from my mother-in-laws garden :-).

There are two ways to propagate the plant - using leaf cuttings (Using this method you can get multiple plants with just a single leaf) and using rhizome division. I tried both the methods and would share my experiences with you.

 

Propagation by Leaf-Cutting


When I started with this, I just had a fair idea of what to do but no idea about what to expect after planting the cuttings and how much time would be taken by the cutting to root. So, I thought of writing this blog with pictures and all details so that others can benefit from the same.

Steps:
  1. Single leaf can be cut to create around 5-10 cuttings, each of which can be put in soil and would result in a separate plant.
  2. Prepare the soil and put the cutting in the soil. I used rooting hormone too. It's very important to put the cutting in the same direction in which it was when the plant was there in soil. If we reverse the direction cutting would not root. This is as per the information I found on internet, I have not tried the other way to confirm the same. :-)
  3. Water the cuttings properly.
  4. Wait till the cuttings root and show sign of new growth. I read somewhere that cutting may take time to root but I had no idea on how long should I wait.

I used to look at the cuttings from time to time to notice any new growth but after 1-2 months I lost patience. I just ignored except for occasional watering as I generally plant the cuttings nearby existing plants so that they don't miss on water; and then transplant them as and when they root. 

I had not grown any snakes plant before so I was not even sure how would the cuttings show new growth. After around 2-3 months, I even pulled one of my four cuttings from ground to check if it really did any progress. To my relief, there were small roots. I missed taking a picture :-( . I put it back in the soil and knew that it might take time but it surely would turn into a full-fledged plant.

I planted the leaf cuttings during 1st week of September, however I the new growth started appearing in the last week of April. This long duration of around 7 months) before I could see any growth can be due to the winters in between but I am not sure. The new growth did not appear at the cutting itself, it appeared as a shoot nearby.

Snake Plant propagation by leaf cutting
Offshoots appearing nearby cuttings

How to propagate Snake Plant by Leaf cutting
Offshoots nearby cuttings

Some of the blogs say that when leaf-cuttings root, they result into non-variegated leaves. I would have to wait for a few more days to confirm that.

 

Propagation by Rhizome Division

While my hubby was pulling the leaf for cuttings from my mother-in-laws garden (you see guys generally use their hands instead of shears or knives), he just accidentally pulled two full leaves with rhizome intact (though separated from main plant). It was like taking the whole plant out and then dividing the rhizome. I also put the same in the ground.

I expected this would show new growth sooner than the cuttings. To my surprise, it did outran the cuttings but only by around 15-20 days which is not much as compared to total dormancy period. Also, the growth did not appear on the main plant/rhizome but appeared as an offshoot (a few inches away from the main plant). I would update you in case I see any new growth on the main plant.

Propagate Snake Plant by Rhizome Division
Two offshoots nearby the main plant

I am waiting for the plants to grow a bit and then would put them in their own personal containers.

 

Water and Sunlight Requirement

If planted in a container, constantly wet soil can cause damage to the roots however this is not much concern when planted in ground. This can be planted outdoors as well as indoors (in low light conditions too).

 

Improves Air Quality

This is one of the best air purifying household plants. It is also known as bedroom plant due to its ability to filter many pollutants in indoor environment. They release Oxygen even during night due to CAM, a secondary type of photosynthesis.

Scientific Name: Sansevieria trifasciata
Commonly Known As: Snakes Plant, Mother-in-law's tongue, Saint George's sword
Type: Evergreen, Perennial

Its far easier to go and buy plants from nursery; but you feel real satisfaction when you do something from ground up. The joy of creating a new life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment